Ferromagnetism of LaCoO$_3$ films
Andrii Sotnikov, Kyo-Hoon Ahn, Jan Kuneš
SciPost Phys. 8, 082 (2020) · published 2 June 2020
- doi: 10.21468/SciPostPhys.8.6.082
We study ferromagnetic ordering and microscopic inhomogeneity in tensile strained LaCoO$_3$ using numerical simulations. We argue that both phenomena originate from effective superexchange interactions between atoms in the high-spin (HS) state mediated by the intermediate-spin excitations. We derive a model of the HS excitation as a bare atomic state dressed by electron and electron-hole fluctuations on the neighbor atoms. We construct a series of approximations to account for electron correlation effects responsible for HS fluctuations and magnetic exchange. The obtained amplitudes and directional dependence of magnetic couplings between the "dressed" HS states show a qualitative agreement with experimental observations and provide a new physical picture of LaCoO$_3$ films.
This publication has been updated
- Correction: Ferromagnetism of LaCoO$_3$ films on 2021-03-10
Cited by 2
Ikeda et al., Two Spin-State Crystallizations in
Phys. Rev. Lett. 125, 177202 (2020) [Crossref]
Orlov et al., Exchange interaction between the high spin Co3+ states in LaCoO3
Computational Materials Science 204, 111134 111134 (2022) [Crossref]
Ontology / TopicsSee full Ontology or Topics database.
Authors / Affiliations: mappings to Contributors and OrganizationsSee all Organizations.
- 1 2 Andrii Sotnikov,
- 1 3 Kyo-Hoon Ahn,
- 1 4 Jan Kuneš
- 1 Technische Universität Wien / Vienna University of Technology [TUW]
- 2 Харківський фізико-технічний інститут / Kharkov Institute of Physics and Technology [KIPT]
- 3 고려대학교 / Korea University
- 4 Akademie věd České republiky / Academy of Sciences of the Czech Republic [ASCR]