We find half-wormhole solutions in Jackiw-Teitelboim gravity by allowing the geometry to end on a spacetime D-brane with specific boundary conditions. This theory also contains a Euclidean wormhole which leads to a factorization problem. We propose that half-wormholes provide a gravitational picture for how factorization is restored and show that the Euclidean wormhole emerges from averaging over the boundary conditions. The wormhole is known to be dual to a Sachdev-Ye-Kitaev (SYK) model with random complex couplings. We find that the free energy of the half-wormhole is strikingly similar to that of a single realization of this SYK model. These results suggest that the gravitational path integral computes an average over spacetime D-brane boundary conditions.
Cited by 12
Authors / Affiliations: mappings to Contributors and OrganizationsSee all Organizations.
- 1 Antonio Garcia-Garcia,
- 2 Victor Godet
- 1 上海交通大学 / Shanghai Jiao Tong University [SJTU]
- 2 टाटा मूलभूत अनुसंधान संस्थान / Tata Institute of Fundamental Research [TIFR]
- Department of Atomic Energy, Government of India
- National Key Research and Development Program of China (through Organization: Ministry of Science and Technology of the People's Republic of China [MOST])
- National Natural Science Foundation of China [NSFC]